Sunday, December 13, 2015

Different Types of Love Within a Family...

How do you know that you are choosing the right partner? Are you in love? What is love? How do you prepare for marriage and all of those changes that are about to come?

There are four types of love according to Greek language and they all come at different times and look differently. These four types of love are Eros, Philia, Storge, and Agape.

Eros is the type of love we feel as humans when we are in the emotional and romantic stage of our relationships. Usually this comes right in the beginning when our relationships are very new and exciting still. Looking back when I met my husband in high school we went through this stage when he did no wrong and everything thing he did even if it was little made me like or love him more and more. I think this is the feeling that gets us into trouble a lot because we think we like someone so much, but we do not really know them all that well.

Philia is a friendship type of love that you feel towards those who you are close with, but are not dating or anything like that. I definitely love my best friends! They are practically my sisters at this point in my life. They are the people that I share interests with, share my secrets with, and share my personal thoughts with. If I did not love them in a way that I do I could not be open and honest with them as I do now. I know that they love I have for them is different, but I also know that if I did not love them in a Philia way that we would not have the same type of relationship. It says a lot about a person you are friends with when you develop a type of Philia love for them.

Storge is the love a parent has for their child or children. When I think about my parents I know they love me, but again it is a different type of love than how they love each other. My parents sacrifice a lot for me and my brother and I know that they would not do the things they do for myself and him if they did not have a deep love for us. We are their offspring for Heaven sakes, if they do not love us how we can expect others to love us?

Agape is a general love that we can feel towards others, especially strangers. I think of this type of love when you are serving or giving towards others that you may not even know. While delivering food in San Francisco a few years ago to people who could not leave their homes I felt this type of love. I loved them because I wanted to help and serve them. We do not need to know people personally to serve and love them from afar.

Be Kind to Others,
Gabby Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment